Friday 24 January 2014

#24 of 30

"Lilacs on My Windowsill"
8" x 8" - Oil on Canvas
Sold

In our backyard we have a beautiful, white lilac tree and in late May it is full with blooms.  I have always adored the smell and so I get out every vase that I have and fill them all with lilacs.  The fragrance is intoxicating and it fills the house for about a week.  This was one little vase that I had sitting on my windowsill last year.

This was an interesting experiment.  I have never painted lilacs before and wasn't quite sure how I was going to go about getting the effect.  I like to paint detail, BUT, I was not about to put every little lilac blossom in.  Unfortunately, the photograph isn't able to capture every little nuance in the shading, but I'm not displeased with the outcome.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment