Monday 12 October 2015

A Lesson in Perseverance

 "REDS"
Oil on Canvas - 10" x 10"
$275

Day 4 & 5

Life happened along this week with work and company for the Thanksgiving weekend, so I haven't had much time to paint or sketch.  I did do a little sketch on Thursday, (Day 4) but I won't be posting it.  Today is the first opportunity that I had to get at the easel. 


I had an idea of what I was going to work on today.  While putting things away before company arrived, I came across a painting that I had started many, many months ago.  A little history on the piece. . . . my friend, Marcela and I were in a show at the Community Arts Council Gallery and had volunteered to sit the show and paint while we were there.  I really wasn't in the mood to paint and it was challenging to be in the gallery with different lighting and people coming and going.  So, what came off the easel that day really wasn't floating my boat.

When I found it on the shelf I felt that the overall composition was okay, so today I decided to see what I could do by going back in and loosening things up.  I deepened all of the reds and cleaned up the centres of the poppies, then I tackled the background because that was really where the major problem was. 

It's quite interesting what can happen when you let the muse come out to play!!!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting. You've done a great job of giving it life. Wonderful when we can save a painting. Often times we need time away from a piece before we have the answers. Wish you had posted a before photo!

    ReplyDelete